The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is closely monitoring the situation amid coronavirus fears, and will hold talks with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) before making a final call on their team’s tour of Pakistan.
In the wake of two coronavirus cases emerging in Karachi this week, all educational institutions in Sindh are to be closed until March 13, the Sindh government has announced.
The final leg of the tour is set to be played in April with a one-off ODI on 3rd, followed by the second Test from April 5 — with both matches to be held at the National Stadium in Karachi.
“For us players’ safety comes as the first priority and we are not going to compromise with it at any cost,” BCB media committee chairman Jalal Yunus told Cricbuzz on Tuesday
“We will talk with PCB in this regard and if we see that there is any threat then certainly we will not send our team to Pakistan. But at the moment it is too early to make a decision in this regard as we still have time on our hands,” he added.
Earlier, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, addressing the people of the province, maintained that there was no need to worry.
“The measures we are taking, such as the closing of educational institutions, tracking passengers and coordinating with their families, are purely for the safety of our people,” he said, urging everyone to cooperate with the authorities in order to keep the country safe from the further spread of the virus.
He added that whatever cases had been diagnosed were being contained.