‘Government extends lockdown to April 14 to combat coronavirus,’ Asad Umar

‘Government extends lockdown to April 14 to combat coronavirus,’ Asad Umar

Affairs

Islamabad: The Minister for Planning and Development, Asad Umar has confirmed here on Wednesday that the government has decided to extend lockdown till April 14 to combat coronavirus.

He said that the decision was taken in a meeting of the National Coordination Committee (NCC).

“The meetings of the NCC will be held regularly before 14 April to review the situation,” he mentioned.

Asad Umar was addressing a press conference alongside Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Health Dr. Zafar Mirza and Special Assistant to Prime Minister on National Security Division and Strategic Policy Planning Moeed Yousuf.

He said, “The industries manufacturing basic necessities — food, medicine, and power etc. — will operate as they are crucial at this time. These restrictions will bear fruit only if basic necessities are being provided to the people. The federal and provincial governments are on the same page in this regard.”

“Goods transport will continue as all members present in the meeting had agreed on cooperating in this regard,” he noted.

“On April 4, the first flight will arrive in Islamabad via Pakistan International Airlines. Passengers will be tested and they will be kept in quarantine facility till the results are received,” he added.

He further cleared that “The restrictions imposed have limited the spread of the coronavirus. If they had not been imposed more cases would have emerged.”

Meanwhile Dr. Zafar Mirza said, “While we have extended the restrictions till April 14, we have to remember to maintain social distancing. The people should also observe self-quarantine.”

It is pertinent to note that Pakistan’s confirmed coronavirus cases have increased to 2245 on Wednesday.

The total number of cases surged after new cases were reported from different sections of the country.

Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar has confirmed a lot newer cases on Wednesday.

In a tweet, Buzdar said, “845 people have been tested positive for #COVID19 in Punjab. 416 positive cases are from DGK, Multan, Raiwind & Faisalabad’s quarantine facilities.”

Punjab remains the worst hit by the virus with 845 cases were reported lately.

Sindh has total 709 cases so far, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa with 276 cases, Gilgit-Baltistan with 184 cases, Balochistan 164 cases, Islamabad Capital Territory 58 cases and Azad Jammu and Kashmir with 9 cases.

Meanwhile, total 30 deaths are being reported from different sections of the country on Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *