Online education or online training has become a matter of immense importance in 2019. The Internet has transformed our lives in many ways. On one hand, it has enlightened us about so many things happening all over the world and has accelerated communications. On the other hand, it has also become a platform for numerous criminal and counterfeit activities. One such activity is the creation of fake online colleges, which sells degrees and diplomas by unethical means, making huge dollars.
Selling fake online degrees have become a big business in recent times. These internet educational establishments pretend to operate as legitimate colleges and universities. However, they reward degrees without evaluating the assignments of students. Counterfeit online schools and colleges sell degrees at different level of academics such as bachelor’s degree, vocational courses, and even a doctoral degree. However, if you are a little alert, it becomes easier to trace these colleges.
Ways to Find out online colleges
There are a number of things that indicate why some online colleges are not legitimate.
– These colleges fake the names of renowned colleges. However, if you go through the websites, there would not be any mention of an accrediting agency. At times, they give a fake agency name and a false address on the website.
– Authentic online degrees have a lot of demands from students. For example, they require a minimum percentage mark and you may have to appear for an entrance test. However, fake internet education centers often assert that there is no exam or entrance test or things like money return in 10 days, and so on. So you need to be careful regarding these types of statements.
– Counterfeit institutes often do not ask for any previous marks record from students. You just have to pay and take the admission. Moreover, there is no interaction happening with the instructors or any faculty members.
How Can You Take Precautionary Measures?
There are a number of ways you can avoid getting cheated.
- It is important to check the name of the accreditation agency. You can type the name on Google or call up to see how authentic the agency is. Also google search the mailing address that is mentioned in the website. If you do not find any, chances are that the college is fake.
- Mostly students wish to get educational certificates from US institutes. It is important to note that the US Department of Education recognizes certain accrediting agencies. Two of the most popular agencies include the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC) and Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). So before you take admission, check whether the colleges you are getting enrolled are listed in these categories.
- Another effective way to find out is by calling up the Better Business Bureau. This organization can inform you whether the college is legitimate. You can also find out whether there any complaints against the institution.
- It is important to know about the faculty members and board of directors. Find out their level of expertise they talk to at least one instructor before taking admission.
By being a little watchful, you can stay away from fake online degrees. Remember, such degrees would not be recognized by either of your prospective employers or any universities and will drain off all your money. So, adopt these measures and before paying thousands of dollars in the name of fee, make sure the college, university or online portal tends to be 100% genuine.