Kabir Singh is Bollywood’s latest hit film which aims at toxic masculinity is facing public criticism. The portrayal of violence and male archetypes in ‘Kabir Singh’ is actually questionable.
People started questioning Indian Cinemas. What they are trying to show? Toxic masculinity is not something to be proud of. However, Indian film industries are promoting such type of aggression, violence, and toxicity through their movies.
The movie creates a fuss at social media and people are raising their voices against toxic masculinity and ‘Kabir Singh’.
#kabirsingh might just cross #uri in gross collection…its a shame. Speaks volumes of the mentality of people… Preaching on social media is a different thing but at home they just love #women being subjugated. Aaaaa thuu. Go on now indulge in whataboutery. https://t.co/sGfhYNyL7I
— dev mahadev देव महादेव 🏳️🌈 (@divyans123) June 25, 2019
The fact that most women around me enjoyed #KabirSingh and idealised the “love” he had for Preeti is terrifying. I’ve been told this is what true love is like.
— Rooshie 😸 (@iluvquantumphys) June 25, 2019
Don’t understand why #KabirSingh is getting rave reviews from the critic. We have enough films in our kitty to show how strong 90% of the women are. What’s the harm in showing the other 10% who needs a Kabir Singh in their lives as a pillar? #Bollywood
— Oishee Mukherjee (@Oishee26) June 25, 2019
#KabirSingh made 70 crores at the box office as of today. Why are we helping propagators of misogyny think they can get away with it like their protagonist did?
— NotADimSim (@SJuwarker) June 25, 2019
Someone asked me after my last post what’s wrong with an Actor choosing a role? Dear pal there is never a wrong or a right it’s the choices that you make on screen to portray is what defines who you are! A character is only a piece of written paper if not enlivened by an actor!
— Vani Tripathi Tikoo (@vanityparty) June 25, 2019
However, it seemed that Bollywood star, Shahid Kapoor is not giving an ear to this criticism. He himself stated that he is ‘unaffected’ by the criticism.
During an interview with Bollywood Hungama, he stated that “I don’t get affected by ek-dedh mahine ke liye ye jo comments aate hai; that is not important. Everything will find its meaning, once people will see it in totality. Jab aap shuru mai aate ho to aapke har performance pe sochte ho abhi log kya bolenge.”
“I have been doing this for 15-16 years now. I have done about 30 films. For me, now it is about putting a body of work behind so that when people see that, they see a variety of work. The larger picture is important,” he further mentioned.
In this film, Shahid Kapoor is seen opposite Kiara Advani. Here is the teaser of this movie.